Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Written a long time ago on Einstein

Einstein is the man, some of his quotes and my thoughts!

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity."

Curiosity is another one of those things that make life interesting. I am thankful to have a brain and be able to question things I don't understand. However, I think there is a fine balance for me to question ALL the things I don't understand and remain faithful and simple. In first Corinthians, it says "I see but a poor reflection in the mirror. But one day I shall see fully as I am fully known." This helps me face life and the questions that can not be answered or understood. This to me is an example of how two things so opposite in connotation come together to express something more profound for me.

"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible."

I think this is beautiful. The word contempt means the act of despising. I find that I run after things that I truly inwardly despise. It makes no sense and reminds me of Paul's struggle between desiring to do good but doing otherwise. I have to remember that kindness, beauty, and truth can be found in the land of the living, even if I have to wake each day anew and devote myself to seeking these three things.

"Never regard your study as a duty, but as the enviable opportunity to learn to know the liberating influence of beauty in the realm of the spirit for your own personal joy but to the profit of community to which your later work belongs."

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

1 comment: