Monday, April 19, 2010

Jennifer Knapp


Keeping a blog is harder than I thought. Being disorganized, disconnected, and declared to have attention deficit disorder; there are so many ideas and thoughts in my head cluttering my brain, wanting to come out on paper, but difficult to express. A lot of them are about my time here in Samoa which I will share at some point. But I just need to say something that is on my heart. I have listened to Jennifer Knapp’s music since high school and fell in love with her music during a very difficult time. I went through a major depression my junior year of high school, and I hung tightly to her words and songs. She has continued to influence me over the last 10 years of my life, probably more than any other musician has. Her music is sincere, raw, and honest and every time I listen to it, it connects me to my Heavenly Father. She has recently come out to the community with her sexuality claiming to be gay. Some of the comments I have read from Christians really astonish me. As you probably know, I am a Christian...and it hurts me to read some of the things posted. Shouldn’t we as Christians love everyone? Billy Graham was once asked ‘What would you do if your son was gay?’ His response was ‘I would probably love him more’. Aren’t we called to love the sinner…we are all sinners…no one is perfect. Sometimes I wonder if Jesus were here (physically-walking on this earth in 2010), would he be disappointed in the way we AREN’T loving people? I mean we will all fail at loving, we are bound to at some point because of the fact that we are not perfect, but shouldn't we try to love? In the picture above, all I see is a child of God in love with HIM and letting go of everything tying her down...letting go so she can openly and honestly be who she is and love God. That picture is a spiritual statement for me. I stand before my God in same expression wanting to know him better. I support her, this doesn’t mean I am gay or completely understand where she is coming from, but I support her 100%. She is an amazing singer and songwriter and I am glad I was introduced to her as a teenager. Thank you Jennifer for your music.

“I’m weak, I’m poor, I’m broken, oh but I am yours, hold me now, hold me now” Hold Me Now JK

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Jamie. Well said.

    May you continue to find blessing and inspiration as you live the peace of Christ.

    ReplyDelete